Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Definitely NOT your traditional pulled pork

After a trip to Maui in 2008 and going to a Luau, I was inspired to cook a Kalua pig.  Not really finding a recipe that got the reviews I look for, I bagged the idea.  Until I was reminded of it again while watching Food Network.  So I searched again.  I found two recipes that I wound up merging together and came up wtih something pretty phenomenal!  So, here it is!

Kalua Pig

1 4-8 lb. Boston Butt pork roast (these range in size and are frequently sold in a 2-pack)
4 Tbsp Hawaiian sea salt (look online for this, otherwise use Kosher salt, although Hawaiian is WAY better!)
4 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
2 cups water
Heavy-duty foil

Pierce pork with a knife in 1" intrvals, about 1/4" deep, all over pork.  Rub pork down with sea salt, then with Liquid Smoke.   Wrap tightly in foil and place in a roasting pan big enough to fit pork.  Pour 2 cups water into pan.

Place pork into a preheated 275 degree oven for at least 4 hours.  (We had an over-7 lb roast and I put it in for about 8 hours).  Once it's done, remove pork from oven, remove foil, and let it rest for at least 5 minutes.  Shred pork with forks.

While pork rests, drain off the juices into a fat-separating measuring cup.  Alternately, you can place a large zip-top bag in a measuring cup, pour juices into bag, and let set for a few minutes.  Once the fat has risen to the top, snip off a small corner of the bottom of the bag.  Drain juices into a medium saucepan, stopping before the fat drains.  Season juices with 1 Tbsp Hawaiian salt.  Add more water if too concentrated.  (Original recipe...or combo of two recipes...said to add 2 c water into a pan and season with salt.  I did the 2 c and added the juices and salt instead.)  Bring to a boil and let simmer for a couple of minutes.

Place shredded pork into a large saucepot.  Pour enough of reserved juice/water mixture into pan to moisten.  Cook just enough to heat through.  Serve on burger buns.  You may also want to serve alongside some barbecue sauce. 

I do not recommend cooking it this way in a crock pot, unless you can still wrap it in foil.  I'm not sure as I don't do a lot of crock pot cooking.  I double-wrapped it in foil, then put in a pan lined with additional foil (for easy clean-up).  It came out super tender, juicy, and flavorful.  I will definitely be making this again.  The best part is, 7 pounds of pork butt yielded 5 sandwiches and enough leftovers for another dinner, plus some for my husband to take to work for lunch for himself and to share with co-workers who love my cooking! :)

1 comment:

  1. sounds good! i think you could wrap it in the crock pot, ill have to try it. ive used foil in the crockpot before on the bottom of it.

    ReplyDelete