Sunday, November 28, 2010

CRANBERRY-SWEET POTATO QUICK BREAD

It's really hard for me to get out of the cooking mood once I'm in it!  Thanksgiving dinner thursday, this bread yesterday, and now I want to make more sweets, but I want all the other sweets we have in the house gone first....also, I ran myself out of flour making a double-batch of this bread yesterday!

This bread was good, but I think it needs more sweet potato flavor...maybe more spice, who knows.  And chopping the cranberries, well, that's a pain in the butt.  I wanted to use my food chopper but worried some would get too finely chopped, so I just used my knife.  But all in all, this was a delicious bread.  I didn't have any almonds so we skipped topping the bread with them before baking. 

Original recipe courtesy Cooking Light, November 1996

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)


2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

3/4 cup canned mashed sweet potato

3 eggs

1/3 cup orange juice

1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled

1 cup chopped cranberries

Cooking spray

2 tablespoons sliced almonds



Preheat oven to 350°.



Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine sweet potato, egg substitute, orange juice, and margarine in a bowl; add to dry ingredients. Stir just until moist. Fold in cranberries.



Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle almonds over batter. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Let cool completely on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment