Monday, February 15, 2010

What's the scoop with corn bread???

It seems like every time I make a new version of corn bread, it never comes out right.  I picked out a recipe from Epicurious that got great reveiws, yet when I tasted it, it was dry and crumbly.  And little to no corn bread flavor.  I don't get it.  And this recipe was a pain to boot...beating yolks till they're pale, whites till they form stiff peaks, preheating the cast iron skillet then adding bacon grease...UGHRRR!

I'm frustrated beyond belief.  The only *decent* corn bread I've ever had is Trader Joes.  But we don't have one in Alaska.  So I have to ask my mom to mail me some all the time.  It's more work than it's worth.

The only decent recipe we've tried is one Rob found on Allrecipes.com.  But it calls for so much butter my arteries cringe at the sight of it in the oven.  I just can't do that to myself on a regular basis. 

So after the disappointing corn bread (the first dish I made in my new cast-iron skillet too!) I made a Thin French Apple Tart from myrecipes.com.  This was a much more acceptable dish.  Quite yummy, don't know that Lauren will like it but I beleive Alex well.  I think it would be good topped with a little creme fraiche or lightly whipped heavy cream with a little sugar.  I encourage you to seek this one out and try it.  The kiddos can help with it too...older kids can help slice the apples and younger ones can help assemble it.  We might even make it soon in my friday baking class at the school!

1 comment:

  1. i swear i commented on this last night...oh well! i used the recipe on the back of the quaker cornmeal container. it might not meet your expectations but it works for us!

    and you have an award if you choose to accept it!
    http://outtatheboxintothekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete