Thursday, February 25, 2010

In search of: Spanish rice recipe!

So most of you know I teach kids how to cook in our After-School Program.  Next week we will be making something that makes my daughter VERY happy: Double Decker Tacos.

Now, while my recipe doesn't have that distinctive flavor of Taco Bell, it's a whole lot fresher and better for you.  We'll use lean ground beef and a homemade Mexican seasoning.  We *could* make homemade tortillas, but we need them to hold together and I've never made them before, so we'll use store-bought this time.  Maybe after I've tried making the homemade tortillas will we try it on a double-decker. 

The problem is we have to use 1 to 1 1/2 hours of time.  And double decker tacos are quick.  So we have to make something else! 

The good news is I have a very good friend who is Mexican.  So I've put a phone call in to her to see if she might have a good recipe.  Hopefully she does.  But in the mean time, if it's gonna be something short and quick, that's what we'll have to do. 

However, if any of my readers have a good, kid-friendly (read: not too spicy) Spanish rice recipe, please feel free to share it with me!

1 comment:

  1. is mexican rice the same as spanish rice? i have a recipe that i like, but not sure how authentic it may be...let me know!

    ReplyDelete