Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Farfalle with tomatoes, onion, and spinach

In my attempt to steer my family toward more meatless meals (no, I am NOT going vegetarian!), I came across a few recipes that actually do sound quite tasty.  This one was one of them.  And I would not mind throwing in some grilled chicken (maybe one breast....) to make it a little more sustainable.  But really, it wasn't necessary.  My husband was prepared to chow down on some leftover potato salad after this "light" meal, but was surprised when he finished and was full!

I did add extra oregano, as well as some salt and pepper.  I used a stainless steel skillet so I needed to add more oil.  But Rob liked it, Alex ate all of it, and Lauren picked out the tomatoes and spinach (she does not like tomatoes, but apparently only likes spinach SALAD...sigh...she's getting pickier as she gets older!). 

I might add some Italian seasoning next time, and also try rehydrating some sun-dried tomatoes instead of using fresh (I know Lauren likes those!).  It would also make a tasty cold salad-type dish. 

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces uncooked farfalle pasta
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 cup vertically sliced yellow onion
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 5 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 3 cups baby spinach
  • 3 tablespoons shaved fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese

Preparation

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon salt. Add pasta, and cook according to package directions; drain.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and oregano; sauté 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and vinegar; sauté 3 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften. Add pasta and spinach; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment