Friday, April 15, 2011

Ms. Helen's Halibut Chowder

I got this recipe from my co-worker Helen.  I've had her version several times and always enjoyed it.  She also makes it with salmon and it is equally good!  I altered the recipe a little bit, sauteing the veggies first and adding some seasonings, and my husband said, "This is REALLY good!"

2 T butter
6 strips bacon, chopped
1 c diced carrot
1 c diced celery
1 c diced onion
1 lb (or more) halibut, chopped into 1/2 to 1" pieces
4 c milk (any variety, I suggest 2% but will try skim next time)
2 8-oz blocks cream cheese (I used reduced fat, and do not recommend fat free)
30 oz total cream of potato soup
15 oz cream of mushroom soup
1 can sweet corn, drained
Additional seasonings (sorry, I didn't measure): salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, cayenne and Old Bay seasoning)

Melt butter in a large saute pan.  Add chopped bacon, stirring occasionally, until browned and slightly crispy.  Add the carrots, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender.  Add onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.  Add halibut and cook until flaky.  Remove from heat.

In a large pot, add milk and cream cheese, stirring to blend.  Put over medium heat and stir until cheese has melted.  Add soups.  DO NOT add water.  Whisk ingredients together, bringing to  a simmer.  Let simmer for 5 minutes.  Add reserved halibut mixture and corn and simmer for 20 minutes.  Add up to 1/2 cup water if desired to thin consistency.  Serve hot.

(As for the seasonings, I added salt, pepper, and thyme to the veggies as they were cooking.  I also added the same seasoning to the milk mixture as it was cooking.  I added the same seasonings once it was all put together and simmering, as well as maybe 1 tsp cayenne and 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment